Real Time Trader, Senior
Apply now »
Date: Jun 20, 2022
Location: PHOENIX, AZ, US, 85004-3903
Our employees are important to the success and future of our organization and our customers’ experiences. At APS, our pay and benefits, along with retirement, recognition, time off, career development and well-being, make up our Total Rewards program. It is an important part of the employee experience at APS and supports your personal well-being and professional satisfaction. We are committed to providing programs that matter to our employees throughout all life and career phases.
Real Time Trader, Senior must have the technical and leadership knowledge skills and ability to be the individual in charge of all trade operations and to act as the company authority when the usual management team is not on site. The Real Time Trader Sr coordinates and leads the activities of Real-Time Traders and is in charge of all trader operations during an assigned shift to ensure the team meets the standards of compliance and operations.
What your day would be like:
+ Ensures that APS customers are provided the most economical sources of energy by analyzing real-time market conditions and making decisions to purchase from other companies, generate internally, or sell to other utilities and marketers.
+ Oversees the marketing of and markets excess resources to other utilities and marketers on a real-time basis.
+ Personally develop and implement specific marketing strategies to negotiate sales and purchases on a real-time basis.
+ Understand and execute all trading activities in compliance with Regulatory and Reliability standards and protocols.
+ Purchases and sells intraday natural gas for the system, when needed, to ensure significant imbalances do not occur.
+ Coordinates gas storage management and leads Traders in arbitrage opportunities.
+ Trains and supports assigned shift Real-Time Trader Associate or Real-Time Trader in meeting their qualifications for expected operations.
+ BS/BA degree in business, economics, engineering, or related field and 5+ years related experience in utility operations; or an equivalent combination of directly related experience and education.
+ Qualified on all 3 trading floor desks (Gas, EIM, Power) within 1 year of hire, as well as M&T University or previously qualified with equivalent experience.
+ Comprehensive knowledge of Power System theory and operation, energy resource economics, and unit commitment and of the interconnected system operation required.
+ Proven oral, written communication skills and mathematical skills essential.
+ Ability to perform under stress in a dynamic environment.
+ Strong computer software skills, i.e., database, spreadsheets, and associated computer applications.
+ Advanced experience with OATI and PCI products.
+ Ability to work rotating shifts.
1) Collaborate with management to ensure all compliance process/procedures are effective and current with respect to ongoing changes to systems and technology.
2) Continually project system load requirements and commit most economical APS resources to meet customer requirements. Analyzes daily system operations and takes necessary follow-up actions to resolve problems.
3) Own the safe, reliable, and compliant culture of the shift. Utilize our APS tools including the Human Performance tools, Corrective Action Program (CAP), and anchor work practices that ensure accurate and timely communication. When checklists are used for tasks - verify correct use and completion.
4) Lead by example in all aspects of the work environment including safe and compliant work practices, technical proficiency, respectful behavior, positive morale, training of others, crew harmony and effective communication. Own the logs and ensure they reflect what occurred and what decisions were made on the shift.
5) Remain proficient in all the skills necessary to operate any of the positions for Real Time operations. Share acquired skills with teammates to promote an environment of continual learning. Communicate to management the need for additional support and/or training when circumstances or skill sets warrant.
6) Represent APS and Resource Management in a professional manner. Demonstrate the ability to interact with other business units, and other companies in a respectful and positive manner.
7) Coordinate activities to ensure the most economical sources are supplying APS load and to ensure firm contracts, maximization of interchange, and short-term and resale energy opportunities.
8) Analyze real- time market conditions and negotiates and purchases most economical energy source for APS system.
9) Personally develops and implements marketing strategies on a real-time basis.
10) Negotiate sales of energy to other utilities and marketers in a real-time competitive market environment.
11) Continually monitor and analyze on-line generation to ensure sufficient system operating reserves.
12) Ensure interconnected system and associated power pool operating agreements, criteria and guidelines are met.
13) Provide complete and accurate documentation of all transactions, commitments, counterparty and Balancing Authority communications and events relating to the generation and marketing of APS Energy Resources. Ensures timely and accurate communications flow.
13) Coordinate optimum gas supply strategy program which maximizes supply at the most cost effective level.
15) Qualify on all 3 trading floor desks (Gas, EIM, Power), as well as M&T University, if not previously qualified with equivalent experience.
Export Compliance / EEO Statement
This position may require access to and/or use of information subject to control under the Department of Energy's Part 810 Regulations (10 CFR Part 810), the Export Administration Regulations (EAR) (15 CFR Parts 730 through 774), or the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) (22 CFR Chapter I, Subchapter M Part 120) (collectively, 'U.S. Export Control Laws'). Therefore, some positions may require applicants to be a U.S. person, which is defined as a U.S. Citizen, a U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident (i.e. 'Green Card Holder'), a Political Asylee, or a Refugee under the U.S. Export Control Laws. All applicants will be required to confirm their U.S. person or non-US person status. All information collected in this regard will only be used to ensure compliance with U.S. Export Control Laws, and will be used in full compliance with all applicable laws prohibiting discrimination on the basis of national origin and other factors. For positions at Palo Verde Nuclear Generating Stations (PVNGS) all openings will require applicants to be a U.S. person.
Pinnacle West Capital Corporation and its subsidiaries and affiliates ('Pinnacle West') maintain a continuing policy of nondiscrimination in employment. It is our policy to provide equal opportunity in all phases of the employment process and in compliance with applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations. This policy of nondiscrimination shall include, but not be limited to, recruiting, hiring, promoting, compensating, reassigning, demoting, transferring, laying off, recalling, terminating employment, and training for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, disability, age, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other classification or characteristic protected by law.
For more information on applicable equal employment regulations, please refer to EEO is the Law poster. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of every person hired to work in the United States, refer to E-Verify poster. View the employee rights and responsibilities under the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA).
Arizona Public Service is a smoke free workplace.
This position requires employees to work at the (Location), with some flexibility. Flexibility will be determined with the hired employee and leadership.